Mr. Rodney Barreto
Rodney Barreto is a serial entrepreneur and tireless advocate for a variety of issues he actively supports. Named one of the top 100 most powerful people in South Florida by South Florida CEO, Rodney’s influence is historic and wide-reaching, touching the business, public, social and civic sectors. His entrepreneurial efforts started with The Barreto Group, Inc., a diversified company specializing in corporate and public affairs consulting. Later, he expanded into other areas including real estate investment and development and healthcare data management.
In 2000, Barreto founded Floridian Partners, LLC with offices in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa and Tallahassee. Floridian Partners LLC is a consulting firm that develops and manages far-reaching corporate and public affairs strategies designed to achieve specific business results. Recognized by policy makers as one of the top public affairs firms in Florida, Floridian Partners has achieved measurable results for dozens of companies based in Florida and throughout the United States. Whether it is a Fortune 500 company, small businesses or professional sports franchise, Floridian Partners is known for developing winning strategies.
With a desire to expand his business ventures, Barreto identified, purchased and began developing multiple types of properties including residential homes. He has built numerous gas station sites throughout Florida and has negotiated land acquisitions and entitlements.
Not one to sit still, Barreto turned his attention to the healthcare field. He is the Founder and Managing Partner of Healthcare Data Solutions (HDS). HDS provides turn-key healthcare solutions and services to physicians nationwide. With over a decade of Electronic Health Record and Health Information Technology experience, Healthcare Data Solutions has the knowledge to provide clients with cost effective, high-quality, cutting edge solutions. HDS is the leading and award-winning Allscripts Premiere Partner, providing physicians with simple, intuitive and complete solutions. They offer comprehensive electronic health record and practice management solutions. HDS is committed to helping physicians nationwide attest and qualify for the Meaningful Use Incentives as outlined in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).
Mr. Barreto is a board member for US Century Bank which is locally-owned and headquartered in Miami. He currently chairs the Compensation Committee for the board. He is a member of the Florida Council of 100 and sits on the board of the Baptist Hospital Health Foundation, Wildlife Foundation of Florida, and Bonefish Tarpon Trust.
Rodney Barreto was born and raised in Miami, Florida and is proud to give back to the community he loves. He has been actively involved with the Super Bowl since 1989 and holds his own Super Bowl record by chairing both the 2007 and the 2010 South Florida Super Bowl Host Committees. During his tenure, Mr. Barreto helped raise more than $40 million dollars and in-kind contributions.
The Miami native also finds time to protect wildlife in the Sunshine State. As a youngster, Mr. Barreto fished Biscayne Bay and hunted the Everglades, activities he still enjoys today. He served ten years on the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission having been appointed by Governor Jeb Bush and re-appointed to a second five-year term by Governor Charlie Crist. He was elected by his fellow commissioners to serve as chairman of the commission for seven of the ten years he served. In recognition of his leadership, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission established the Rodney Barreto Conservation Award for outstanding achievement and presented Rodney with the inaugural award in 2011.
His community involvement is too extensive to capture. Barreto has twice chaired the Annual U.S. Conference of Mayors. In 1999, he chaired the Breeder’s Cup Championship held in South Florida and was the Chairman of the Sister Cities International Convention in Miami. In 1996, he was Co-Chairman of the City of Miami Centennial Celebration and created the Big Orange New Year’s Eve Celebration in Downtown Miami. After twenty-five years, it remains a Miami tradition that takes place each New Year’s Eve.
Barreto has received the following awards and accolades:
- Presented the key to the County by Mayor Stephen P Clark
- Named the “Consultant of the Year” by the Latin Builders Association in 2004
- Presented with the Conservation Award in 2005 by the Coastal Conservation Association
- He has also received special recognition by the National Park Service for his outstanding contributions in the establishment of a Research Natural Area in Dry Tortugas National Park to restore, protect and preserve the park’s pristine subtropical ecosystem.
- In 2005 and 2008, Mr. Barreto was inducted into the Miami Dade College and Immaculata La Salle High School Hall of Fame
- In 2009, the Yamaha Contender Miami Billfish Tournament awarded him with the Captain Bob Lewis Perpetual Memorial Award for his conservation efforts
- In 2009 City of Miami Mayor Manny Diaz presented him with the key to the City in recognition of his leadership. The certificate presented “pays tribute to the leadership of Rodney Barreto, honoring his steadfast commitment to South Florida and his resolute concern with giving of himself to make Miami a destination of choice for the global community.”
- In 2011, the Bonefish and Tarpon Trust presented the first annual Flats Stewardship Award for going above and beyond to preserve the slam species and their habitats.
Prior to extensive entrepreneurial career, Barreto was a City of Miami police officer. He earned his Associate of Arts degree from Miami Dade Community College and his Bachelor of Arts degree in Professional Studies from Barry University. He resides in Miami, Florida with his wife Shelia and is the proud father of two children. He continues to expand his ventures and interests while dividing his family time between Miami and Georgia.
(Term Ends 12/8/17)
Back to About Us page